There was a time when people used to record their literature in the slice of bark and handmade papers. But after the invention of printing press by Johannes Gutenberg the pace of printing accelerated to a greater extent. A lot of unknown and amazing stories started reaching people. But, as far as publishing a book was concerned the publishers could be counted on fingers. Even after the development of printing press and an increase in publishing houses, for a debut writer reaching a publisher and getting the original text published without major changes was difficult. J.K.Rowling original ‘Harry Potter’ pitch was rejected 12 times. But, since few years a new form of publishing has become popular worldwide that is called self publishing.
Self Publishing as the name suggests is a method of publishing Books and magazines through one’s own investment without the involvement of an established publisher. In simple terms, self publishing gives authors the liberty to get their work printed without major editing.
Benefits Of Self Publishing:-
1) Welcoming for debut writers: There are 99% chances of getting your manuscript if you fulfill the norms of a book. The only thing that the self-publishing firm cross-check is, plagiarism, norms of a book viz number of pages and grammatically correct work. In traditional publishing, the scope for debut writers is less.
2) Fast Publishing: Through self-publishing, you can get your work published in merely a month after you get your manuscript submitted. In traditional publishing, it may take 6 months or even a year for a debut writer to get published.
3) Investment: There are different plans of self-publishing firms relating to the facilities provided to the author.
4) Profit: Earn profit through self-publishing on every sale and check your royalty tine to time.
5) Facilities: There are many facilities provided by a self-publishing firm like marketing your book, book launches, getting the book for sale on the online portal and so on.
6) Copyright: The self-publishing firm provides legal support like copyright.
7) Print On Demand: Self-publishing firms provide the facility of print on demand. It means the copies of the book are not stopped in one printing, it is produced time to time depending on the demand.
8) Editing team: Editing team plays a very important role to shape your text and makes it presentable to be published.
9) Worldwide Distribution: Self-publishing gives facility of worldwide distribution through online shopping portals like Amazon, Snapdeal, Flipkart, etc.
Book Launch: It also provides the facility for book launch and marketing through newspaper and digital platforms.
Things to Keep In Mind In Self Publishing
10)Be Pragmatic: Choose the plan according to your requirement, don’t spend money recklessly unless your work really demands it. For instance, if your target audience is not global, no need to spend money on making your work available for sale on global portals.
There are many writers like Savi Sharma author of Everyone Has A Story, E.L James author of Fifty Shades Of Grey, Margret Atwood Of Double Persephone. AshwinSanghaiof The Rozabal Line, Amish Tripathi Of Shiva Trilogy and AdithyaIyre of The Great Indian Obsession: The Untold Story Of India’s Engineer and so on. The list goes endless.
Amish Tripathi was rejected 20 times when he finally decided to self publish his book later he was taken over by a publishing house and know he is celebrity author of India. AdithyaIyre ‘s book The Great Indian Obsession: The Untold Story Of India’s Engineer was crowd-funded where more than 300 people funded for his book globally. Savi Sharma started with printing 2,000 copies of her book Everyone has a story and then she was able to sell 5,000 copies a month by reprinting another 3,000 copies.
The list of such authors goes endless, this shows that there is a big mass of reader all across the globe and what they really want is the quality content. If the content has mattered to hit the heartstrings of the readers than it is for sure that despite of the mode of publishing the book will make its place in the hearts of the people. So, go one writing and follow the guidelines properly and the day is not very far when you will see your book among the best seller or the most appreciated works of the times.