B.A. (Bachelor of Arts) Mass Communication or B.A.(Hons) in Mass Communication, is a three-year undergraduate degree course in journalism and mass communication. The course covers various aspects of mass communication such as television, radio, newspapers, magazines, cinematic movies etc. Students are taught how to convey information to the audience in the most effective way. They are taught to successfully use the various methods of mass communication which are used to spread and exchange data by the people and the masses.
JOB PROFILE: After the completion of the course, one can work as a Public Relations Officer, TV Correspondent, Fashion Photographer, Radio Jockey, Reporter, Screenwriter, Photojournalist, Film Director, Sound Technician etc. The average salary is usually 5 to 7 lacs per annum.
COMPANIES HIRING MASS COMMUNICATION GRADUATES: The top companies which recruit a mass communication graduate are IBM, Lenovo, HCL, Disney Entertainment, Guardian Group, Warner Brothers, HP, Tata Consultancy and Adobe.
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA: The basic qualification to be eligible for this course is 10+2 or equivalent qualification in any stream, from a recognized educational board. You should have a minimum aggregate of 55% in your 10+2 examination. Students awaiting their 10+2 result can also apply.The aspirants have to clear an entrance examination in some institutions as well.
THE CURRICULUM: The curriculum is designed in such a way that it gives a strong foundation to the students in the news practices and media across various media platforms. The students understand the important role of news media in the world and are provided with in-depth knowledge of media. The study of arts is also emphasized upon.
The program is divided into six semesters over three years. Students acquire knowledge on topics like news studies and practice. They have to also study subjects on arts. The arts make up about 40% of the course module while the remaining 60% is about news studies and practice.
There are main subjects which are mandatory and some elective subjects.
First Year: In the first year, a student is taught how to advertise and communicate theoretically and corporately as well. They have to study about the culture, civilization, geography, economy and the history of print media. They learn feature writing and get to know about the Indian democracy of news.
Course Details: The various subjects taught in the first and second semester are listed below according to their respective semester.
In the second year, the course begins with the Indian History and Indian Constitution. Students are taught about in-depth journalism and informatics. They learn about international communication and news writing. Web designing, layout, and design, video basics and journalism ethics are also taught. The students also get to know about the media laws and organizations.
Course Details :
The following subjects are taught in the third and fourth semester :
In the third year, a student is taught how to edit news and report it. They have to study subjects like political science, sociology and the research methodology of print and electronic media. They learn about television production and the principles of communication. They are also taught how to understand the news.
Course Details :
Following subjects are taught in the fifth and sixth semester :
Students are also provided internships in the 5th and 6th semester.