MCA is one of the high rated career options available today! This is because after earning an MCA degree from a reputed Institute, there area plethora of job opportunities available in the market. However, the true dilemma begins after earning an MCA degree, this is because in reality there is such a wide scope of MCA in Government as well as Private sector, that students get confused which path to follow, whether to go for Software Engineering or Web Development or in Hardware and Networking.
MCA (Master of Computer Applications) is a three-year Professional Master Degree program in Computer Science. The objective behind MCA is to equip students with the latest technologies, tools,and applications in IT and to meet the ever-growing requirement of IT professionals. MCA students need to study Financial Management, Accounting, Mathematics, Programming Languages like C, Java, ASP.Net, Web Development, Database Management System.
Companies Hiring MCAs:
MCA post graduates are hired both by Government agencies like NTPC, GAIL, BHEL, etc and private IT companies like Accenture, Infosys, Wipro, TCS, Cognizant, IBM, American Express, HCL, HP and so on. As a fresher, an MCA professional can expect anything around 2.4 to 3.4 lakhs, and with experience, the sky is the limit! With some years of experience, a Software Engineer can become a Lead, an Analyst, a Project Manager, a General Manager and so on. Initially, MCA students are given a few weeks of training on the job before they get started on LIVE projects. They need to work in different roles and areas in the beginning and then gradually specialize in a specific field.
Career Opportunities after MCA:
After getting an MCA degree, one can enter any of the following fields:
1. Software Developer/Programmer/Engineer:
Software Developers are responsible for designing, installing, testing and maintaining the software systems. They provide IT services by analyzing the client needs and designing the system to meet those requirements. It is a very creative field that goes beyond the usual job of coding.
Trouble-shooters are the lifeline of any organization. They make sure that the technology (hardware and software) is easily accessible to all those who require them. If any issue comes up, trouble-shooters take the charge of resolving it so that the projects are delivered on time. They also maintain the resources required by software developers and others.
3. System Analyst:
A system analyst is responsible to design innovative IT solutions to drive businesses and increase efficiency. Their role is to study the current business situation, business processes and models, and design better IT solutions in terms of software for their clients. They are a bridge between the software developers and the clients.
4. Software Application Architect:
The role of a Software Architect is to make high-level decisions in Architecture and design of IT products or services. He/she develops technical guidelines and protocols such as software coding standards, tools and platforms. They make use of several software architectural models to get their job done.
5. Software Consultant:
Consultancy is a very popular career option today. A software consultant is responsible for evaluating a business, its processes and provides software solutions and other feedback to drive the business efficiency. He can be self-employed or work for a consultancy firm. His objective is to provide cost-effective solutions to enhance sales and business growth.
6. Hardware Engineer:
Hardware engineers love working with computer hardware such as hard disk, wires, circuit boards, computer chips, printers, keyboards, routers, and so on. They like the challenges of installing and testing the systems, making sure that internet works smoothly. They are also engaged in the production and testing of hardware equipment.
7. Technical Writer:
Technical writing is a good blend of technology and your creative writing skills. If you have a passion for latest technologies, gadgets and at the same time you love writing, then technical writing is a great career option for you. A technical writer needs to write technical documents such as product description, User Guides/Manuals, Design specifications, White Papers, Project Plan and so on.
8. Systems Developer/Engineer:
Systems developers are involved in writing codes and designing programs for operating systems and other software. They work towards increasing efficiency and suggest further growth and developments. They can specialize in hardware or in software depending upon their interests.
9. Web Designer and Developer:
A Web Designer/Developer is responsible for designing and developing websites. He/she should have a very creative blend of mind, color sense, and font style. They should also be well-versed in software to develop and maintain website such as HTML, Dreamweaver, CSS, Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash and so on.
10. Starting a new Venture:
After completing MCA, one can also start his/her own venture after getting some experience in the field of interest. For instance, you can start a computer education firm or an IT solution company or a hardware related start-up.
Starting Salary for MCA Fresher’s
Starting salary for MCA candidates is not the same for everyone. It depends on the field and responsibilities of the employee.
• App Developer : Rs.20,000-Rs.35,000
• Software Engineer/ Developer : Rs.21,000-Rs.47,500
• Hardware Engineer : Rs.15,000-Rs.25,000
• Web designer and developer : Rs.25,000-Rs.55,000
• IT Assistant : Rs.10,000-Rs.20,000
Average Salary for MCA – Experience Wise
The salary for MCA candidates will also depend upon the designation they are holding. A Sr. Software Engineer or a Developer or Programmer is entitled to receive a salary ranging in between Rs. 425,000 – Rs 650,000 per year.
The average salary package for MCA degree holders/experience wise as follows:
Experience Salary per month
For freshers Rs. 10,000- Rs. 35,000
1-3 years Rs. 25,000- Rs. 45,000
Above 5 years Rs. 40,000- Rs.1,50,000
Avg. the salary for MCA in the USA $1500- $3000
Benefits of pursuing MCA:
1. A decent pay scale:There are many colleges in India that offer MCA for post-graduation and only a few of those understand the important subjects that are needed to be taught. A good college determines your future job opportunities. MCA degree holders can be sure of a bright career ahead of them with a stable and satisfactory pay scale. However, this factor totally depends on the kind of knowledge you gain at the college and how you put it to use.
2. Lucrative Opportunities:An MCA degree will open many doors for young professionals. Any individual who holds a professional master’s degree in computer application can get ample numbers of job offers in both government and the private sector. Studying a master’s degree in a highly specified course will always ensure better opportunities for the candidate.
3. Scope outside India:Doing MCA from a recognized university opens various career paths not only within the country but also outside. Innovation is a never-ending journey and this would require skilled IT professionals all the time, which is one of the biggest advantages of pursuing MCA.
4. Value in the industry:IT sector will always give more priority to professionals who hold a master’s degree in computer application over short-term certifications. A person who holds MCA degree can execute various tasks such as software development, database management, designing application on both theweb and mobile, etc. Organizations prefer hiring one skillful individual who can do various tasks rather than hiring a few different employees for small individual tasks.
5. Gain Knowledge:In today’s world it is very important to gain knowledge about modern technology since this will help in understanding the changes in modern innovation. MCA course does not only educate students but also provides them strong analytical and logical knowledge which helps them to become a skillful and confident individual for tomorrow.
Top MCA Colleges/Institutes:
• Delhi University, New Delhi
• Pune University, Pune
• University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad
• R.E.C., Trichy
• B.H.U (Banaras Hindu University) Varanasi
• Birla Institute of Technology (BIT), Jaipur
• Indian Institute of Management, Indore
• Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi